Prepare for a style of Southern consolation with our Brunswick stew recipe. This hearty, soul-warming dish is a real delight, full of a medley of tender hen, smoky pulled pork, and an abundance of greens.
If you happen to’re searching for a hearty, down-home dish that screams consolation and taste, you have come to the best place. As we speak, we’re diving into the guts of Southern delicacies with our home made Brunswick stew recipe. Whether or not you are a seasoned prepare dinner or a beginner within the kitchen, this soul-warming stew is sure to make you a culinary famous person.
The Origins of Brunswick Stew
The precise origins of Brunswick stew are a topic of debate, with each Georgia and Virginia claiming its creation. Since I am in Savannah not too removed from the coastal city of Brunswick, Georgia, I am siding with the Georgia concept! In actual fact, there’s a pot commemorating the primary Brunswick stew not too far south of right here in St. Simons Island!
No matter the place it got here from, this stew has been warming hearts and tummies for generations. That is an genuine Georgia Brunswick stew recipe.
Why I like this recipe
This thick stew is a symphony of flavors, with the smokiness of the pulled pork, the tenderness of the hen, and the sweetness of the barbecue sauce and veggies coming collectively in good concord.
Whereas many variations of Brunswick stew have each smoked pork and smoked hen, you should use no matter you’ve gotten readily available, it’s simple to customise and alter up. I wish to make this with leftover pulled pork once I’ve smoked a pork butt however any smoked meat will do.
- meat – pulled pork or pulled hen
- veggies – corn, lima beans or butter beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, onion
- seasonings – garlic, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, cayenne pepper
- kitchen staples – hen inventory and butter
Tip: If you happen to aren’t utilizing smoked meat select a barbecue sauce that has a smoky taste. I often use Candy Child Ray’s.
- In a big pot or Dutch oven, sauté garlic and onions within the butter till gentle.
- Add remaining elements and stir to combine. Deliver to a boil then scale back warmth to a simmer.
- Simmer for 90 minutes, stirring sometimes.
There are such a lot of completely different variations of this recipe. So long as you get the smoky taste and candy barbecue sauce, you actually cannot go flawed with this recipe.
- add diced potatoes
- use contemporary greens as a substitute of frozen
- use rotisserie hen as a substitute of pulled hen
- add frozen okra
- spice it up with a number of dashes of sizzling sauce
It is a thick and hearty soup so count on it to be thick. If you happen to want to skinny it you possibly can add further hen broth. If the stew appears too skinny enable to simmer longer till it thickens.
This stew was initially made with sport meat so you possibly can simply substitute what you’ve gotten readily available. Chopped leftover hen breast, pork tenderloin, pork shoulder, even floor beef or floor pork can all work in a pinch. Simply be certain that the barbecue sauce you choose has a smoky taste or use liquid smoke to get that signature smoky and candy style mixture.
Brunswick stew is often served as a barbecue facet dish together with different staples like potato salad, mac and cheese, collard greens, cornbread, coleslaw, or Southern-style inexperienced beans however you possibly can definitely take pleasure in it as a primary dish as nicely.
Retailer leftover stew in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or within the microwave.
This soup freezes nicely. I wish to freeze leftover stew in small batches for simple lunches for future meal prep. Freeze in freezer luggage or freezer-safe containers for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge then reheat within the microwave at half energy or on the stovetop.
If you happen to do that recipe please remark and fee it under, I like listening to from you!
Georgia Brunswick stew is a Southern traditional medley of tender hen, smoky pulled pork, and an abundance of greens.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 massive yellow onion, finely chopped
- 15-ounce can hearth roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 4 cups hen inventory
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce (I used Candy Child Ray’s)
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ kilos smoked pulled pork or pulled hen
- 8-ounce package deal frozen corn
- 8-ounce package deal frozen lima beans
- salt and pepper to style
- In a big Dutch oven of heavy pot, soften butter on medium-high warmth.
- Add garlic and onions and sauté till gentle, round 5 minutes.
- Combine in tomatoes, hen inventory, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire, brown sugar, cayenne, smoked pork, lima beans, corn, salt, and pepper.
- Deliver to boil, then decrease warmth to simmer. Prepare dinner for 1 ½ hours, stirring sometimes.
Retailer leftover stew in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or within the microwave. Freeze in freezer luggage or freezer-safe containers for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge then reheat within the microwave at half energy or on the stovetop.
- Serving Dimension:
- Energy: 408
- Sugar: 42.2 g
- Sodium: 1445.5 mg
- Fats: 11.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 59.4 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 48.6 mg
Key phrases: georgia Brunswick stew